Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Antiquary...

by ~e

Yes. The Antiquary. That is the book I am currently wading through. Wait, don't get me wrong. I love to read, and if you don't find me talking to my friends, doing school or helping my dear mummy around the house, I'll probably be curled up on my bed in my beautiful bedroom that my papa has made for me, reading one of my faves.

Walter Scott's writing is particularly wordy, and although very astounding and brilliant, it is somewhat breathtaking and can be a somewhat daunting task. (Especially if you have to read 15 chapters per week. AAAAHHHH!!!!) However, if I can make myself concentrate and if I try to enjoy the style of writing for what it is, I've found that the plot line is very enjoyable and thrilling.

One of the main characters is Jonathan Oldbuck of Monkbairns. He's the character that Sir Scott describes as the Antiquary, who, because of his own personal disappointments, has taken refuge in the obsessive study of miscellaneous history. He has a curiously passionate love for books and this is very evident in his speech.
Speech? Did someone say speech? Did I also mention that the dialect that Sir Walter Scott uses is completely Scottish? Did I mention that I happen to love the Scottish accent and jargon?
Well, now you know...
Back to Mr. Oldbuck, his bookishness is very prominent throughout and some very good quotes about books are found within the pages because of it.

And so I'll leave you with my favorite quote... (so far)

'For he would rather have, at his bed-head,
A twenty books, clothed in black or red,
Of Aristotle, or his philosophy, (ok, maybe not Aristotle, but you get the general idea.)
Than robes rich, rebeck, or saltery.' - Quoted from the Canterbury Tales


With ~e's permish, I am ammending her post, instead of topping it with a new one, to say how well timed it is, as we are hoping to make our annual trek this coming Saturday to the Clanjamfry --- Memphis' annual Scottish festival. It's not on the grand scale of the one the Beehive attends in Texas every June, but it is great fun nonetheless. Last year the Beehive joined us on the beautiful, ivy league grounds of old Evergreen Presbyterian Church, near Rhodes College, for a full day of tartans, bagpipes, and kilt swishing. (The Wolf River Pipe Band Pipe Major is just too dashing!) They've got the sheepdogs, the traditional Scottish games, the food, the music, the displays of pipes and swords and geneologys galore.

So. We'll don our status as honorary scots (thoroughly welsh, at least, so we feel entitled), go watch the games, enjoy the celtic bands and the dancers, (buy some jewelry), and who knows, we may even eat some haggis in honor of Great Scot.

~rachel tsunami



12 comments:

elliebird said...

'Scuse me, queen shenaynay,
I don't *love* the Scottish accents and jargons, I *like* them to a very big extent.

Laura Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura Kathryn said...

No Ellie. It's love. Believe me.

Nardo said...

Have any of you actually EATEN haggis!!!!

rachel tsunami said...

yes. oh yes. a few years ago, ro-bear and I attended the annual Robert Burns dinner, held in Memphis by the same folks who do the Clanjamfry.

very formal, very pricey, replete with sequins, silks, diamonds, velvets...and elegant gentlemen in woolen kilts with all the proper appointments for their dress uniforms or formal suits.

at an appointed time in the evening, there was the "presentation of the haggis." gloved scotsmen came out carrying trays of it, followed by bagpipes, dancers, and standard bearers with banners held high. someone read, with great pomp, a poem by Burns called "Address to a Haggis", then the trays were taken among the many tables and the guests were served.

now i ask you, after all that, how could we *not* eat the haggis.

(btw, haggis is best eaten with "neeps 'n tatties."

elliebird said...

You're right, Mulitfarious. I love it. Can't help myself.

Nardo said...

weel, ye be a bonnie brave lass.

Lynn Bruce said...

To ~e: We Beehivers read that book last year, and trust us, it keeps getting better as you go. In one of our blog posts on the Scotland trip, we posted a picture of that street in Edinburgh where Oldbuck first gets in the carriage with Lovel. It still looks pretty much the same, except for the cars and Starbucks. ;-)

To Tsunami and all the rest: Clanjamfry. Without us. ::sigh:: There's only one thing that keeps that from breaking my poor estranged heart: the prospect of trading haggis for s'mores.

Enjoy it enough for us, too!

fa-so-la-la said...

Oh Ellie, just give this book some time. You'll become fast friends, let me tell you.

And as for The Clam (as we have termed it affectionately around here)... a resounding sniff. Y'all pretend with me that I'm there, ok?

Nardo said...

This Clanjamfry sounds like something I shall have to attend some time in the future, with you all, of course.

Laura Kathryn said...

Oh Leah, you'd love it! It's grand fun. You should definitely come some time, and bring Doodlebug! :)
Bees -we will miss you being here with us!

beatrice said...

oh where are you in the old A?

the ending is particularly spiffy!