Wednesday, February 14, 2007

EBB: Sonnett XXIX I think of thee!


I had decided I'd post a love poem every day, but hadn't chosen them yet, when I saw that Beatrice posted one of EBB's lovely sonnets. Ah, yes! You just can't get any better than those sonnets...so here's a favorite of mine. btw, someone had a thread going on 'long distance relationships,' and I don't know how that dialogue ended, but if you want to know how the Browning's relationship was affected by long distance, just read Sonnets from the Portugese. They'll knock your socks off. (My Little Portugese was Robert's nickname for Elizabeth. The sonnets are not written in a foreign language. ;-)


I think of thee!--my thoughts do twine and bud
About thee, as wild vines, about a tree,
Put out broad leaves, and soon there's nought to see
Except the straggling green which hides the wood.
Yet, O my palm-tree, be it understood
I will not have my thoughts instead of thee
Who art dearer, better! Rather, instantly
Renew thy presence; as a strong tree should,
Rustle thy boughs and set thy trunk all bare,
And let these bands of greenery which insphere thee,
Drop heavily down,--burst, shattered everywhere!
Because, in this deep joy to see and hear thee
And breathe within thy shadow a new air,
I do not think of thee--I am too near thee.

~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

1 comment:

Nomos said...

She's an awesome poet(ess?).